admin 管理员组

文章数量: 1184232


2024年6月28日发(作者:快速排序画出相应的步骤)

Mary Alice: Previous on Desperate Housewives.

前情提要。

-Court Officer: "Until the adoption is legally finalized, the birth mother can still change her mind and she

has."

adoption: 领养 legally: 合法地 finalize: 使结束,使完结 birth mother: 生母

除非整个领养程序依法完成,否则生母仍可随时改变心意,她也的确反悔了。

-Mary Alice: warns were issued.

issue: 放出,发行

领养程序失败。

-Ed: I‟m going to fire Tom.

fire: 解雇

我要解雇Tom。

-Lynette: If you just fire him, he‟ll sue you and I‟ll back him up! You need cause.

sue: 控告 back up: 支持,辅助 cause: 理由

如果你解雇他,他会告你的。而且我会支持他的,你必须有充分的理由。

-Ed: Well, I guess I‟ll have to find cause.

那好,我回去找出理由的。

-Mary Alice: decisions were made.

心意已决。

-Andrew: I‟m going to do something that is so awful that it‟s going to rock her world.

awful: 吓人的,可怕的 rock: 使震惊

我将会做一件大坏事,让她伤心欲绝。

-Mary Alice: rats were spoken.

rats: 胡说,胡扯

扬言恐吓。

-Matthew: So, what the hell are we going to do?

那我们究竟该怎么做才好?

-Mary Alice: and plans…

秘密计划…

-Matthew: Phenobarbital?

Phenobarbital: 镇定剂

苯巴比妥?

-Betty: It‟s time to give your brother the peace he deserves.

peace: 和平 deserve: 应得的

该是让你哥哥得到平静的时候了。

-Mary Alice:…were put into action.

action: 行动

即将展开。

-Mary Alice: The most successful private investigator in Fairview was a man named Oliver Weston.

private: 私人的 investigator: 调查者,私人侦探

fairview最成功的私家侦探是个叫Oliver Weston的。

Try though he might, Oliver couldn‟t remember the exact moment he stopped believing in love.

believe in: 相信 exact: 确切的

尽管Oliver很想记起,但他还是不太记得,他从什么时候开始不相信爱情。

Was it the night he caught an executive cheating with his secretary?

executive: 经理主管人员 cheat: 表现不忠,不贞 secretary: 秘书

是他发现主管和秘书发生关系的时候?

Or was it the day he saw a housewife cheating with her delivery boy?

housewife: 家庭主妇 delivery: 投递,传送

还是看到家庭主妇和送报员偷情的时候?

Or was it the time he caught the girl next door cheating with the couple across the street?

或是他发现隔壁的女孩和对街的夫妻作爱的时候?

Whenever the moment, Oliver Weston was now officially

officially: 正式的 cynic: 愤世嫉俗的人

每到这些时候,Oliver Weston就变得愤世嫉俗。

...who only believed in betrayal and suspicion.

betrayal: 背叛 suspicion: 怀疑,猜疑

只相信背叛和猜疑。

Luckily for Oliver, that is what paid his bills.

bill: 账单

不过很幸运的是,正是这些为他赚足了大把的钞票。

-Susan: Okay. Stop that.

好了。停止。

-Mike: What are you doing?

你在干什么?

-Oliver: Oh, sorry man. Are these your bushes?

bush: 灌木,灌木丛

啊,对不起,先生。这矮木丛是你家的?

I‟ll clean it all up when I am done. I'll be like I was not here.

我走前会把它们清理干净,好像我没来过一样。

-Mike: You are done now!

你现在就完了。

-Oliver: Oh easy, big fella. I am just a P.I. doing a domestic surveillance job.

fella: <俚>小伙子,伙伴 P.I.: private investigator 缩写 domestic: 家庭的 surveillance: 监督,监视

哦,大个子。放松点。我只是个私家侦探,做家庭监视而已。

-Mike: For who?

为谁做?

-Oliver: The blonde lady at the end of the street.

blonde: 金发碧眼的女人

住在街尾的一个金发女士。

-Mike: Edie Britt?

Edie Britt?

-Oliver: Yeah. That is her fiancé.

fiancé: 未婚夫

对,那是她的未婚夫。

-Oliver: He dumped her for another woman. I just figured out who.

dump: 倾倒,倾斜,丢弃 figure out: 算出,想出【想清楚,弄明白】[Still trying to figure out who you

are?]

很明显地,他跟另一个女人跑了。而我刚刚发现那个女人是谁。

-Mike: Susan? There is nothing going on there. They used to be married.

你说Susan?他们不是你想的那样。他们只是结过婚。

She is only talking to him because they had a kid together.

kid: 孩子

她会和他说话仅仅是因为他们有个孩子。

-Oliver: From what I heard, they are on their way to kid number two.

就我所了解的,他们正打算生第二个小孩呢。

-Mike: You don‟t know what you are talking about.

你简直在胡言乱语。

-Oliver: And you don‟t know these soccer moms like I do.

soccer: 英式足球

那是因为你不如我这般了解这些有孩子的女人。

By day they bake cookies and carpool. Dim the lights and bam! They turn into total pigs!

bake: 烘烤 cookie: 饼干 carpool: 合伙使用汽车 dim: 使暗淡 bam: 拟声词,邦

白天,她们做饼干,合伙乘车。但是到了晚上,她们就完全变成了婊子。

-Mike: She is not like that.

她不是那样的。

-Oliver: Oh please. Look at her. That woman clearly knows her way around a mattress.

mattress: 床垫

哈,拜托。你看看她。那个女人知道她在床上该如何表现。

-Mary Alice: Yes, Oliver Weston had become a cynic, which is why he couldn‟t recognize a man who

was still in love.

cynic: 愤世嫉俗的人 recognize: 认出,分辨出

正因为Oliver Weston变成了一个愤世嫉俗者,所以他没有发现这个男人还爱着Susan。

-Mary Alice: Every family has a way of hiding what it doesn‟t want seen.

hide: 藏

每个家庭都用自己的方法掩藏不为人知的秘密…

Whether it is with a picture that covers a stain on a wall.

stain: 污点

或者用张画来遮掩墙上的污点…

Or with a closet door that conceals the chaos inside.

closet: 柜子 conceal: 隐瞒 chaos: 混乱

或者用门来遮掩柜子里的杂乱...

Or with artificial smiles that mask years of pain and heartache.

artificial: 虚假的 mask:掩饰,化装 heartache: 心痛

或者用虚假的笑容来掩饰长年的疼痛和心叹,

Every family goes to great lengths to hide ugly truths.

每个家庭都煞费苦心,去隐藏那些丑陋的真相。

Some, of course, go further than others.

还有一些人会为此不择手段。

-Matthew: So, are you going to do this tonight?

你决定今天做?

-Betty: No, the ice cream is for tomorrow. I am taking Caleb on a picnic to Rottwater Lake. I am preparing

all of his favorite foods.

picnic: 野餐 favorite: 喜欢的

不,这些冰淇淋是明天的。我打算带Caleb去Rockwater湖野餐。我正准备他喜欢的食物。

-Matthew: So, when you are done, you're just going to leave him lying there?

那到时候,你就只是让他躺在那里等死?

-Betty: No. I‟ll call nine-one-one anonymously.

anonymously: 匿名地

不。我会给911打匿名电话。

But I will be watching from a distance to make sure that they pick up his body.

distance: 距离 make sure: 确信 pick up: 捡起

我会在远处一直等到他们发现他的尸体。

-Matthew: You know, mom, you don‟t have to do this.

妈妈,你可以不用这么做的

-Betty: I won‟t let him hurt another girl and I will not turn him over to people who will mock and abuse him.

I just won‟t.

mock: 嘲弄 abuse: 虐待

我不会再让他伤害其他的女孩。而且我也不会把他交给那些会嘲笑辱骂他的人,我不会。

-Betty: His last day on this earth is going to be a perfect one.

他在这个世上的最后一天将会十分完美。

-Gabrielle: Oh, no thanks, Xiao-Mei. Poor thing, she was so attached to Lily.

attached: 依恋的

不用了,谢谢你,晓梅。真可怜,她太想念Lily了。

-Susan: Where is all this food come from?

你这些食物是哪来的?

-Gabrielle: The people from Carlos‟ church.

Carlos教会的人送来的。

-Lynette: So you think you and Carlos will try for another adoption?

adoption: 收养

现在你和Carlos准备再领养一个小孩吗?

-Gabrielle: I don‟t think I could go through that pain again.

go through: 经历

我想我可没法再经历一次这样的痛苦。

I did freeze some of my eggs so we might do the surrogacy thing, but I don‟t know.

freeze: 冰冻 egg: 卵子 surrogacy: 代理,代替

不过我已经冰冻了一些卵子,可能我们会用代孕的方式,但我也不清楚。

-Bree: Honey, you have got to eat something.

亲爱的,你需要吃点东西。

-Gabrielle: I don‟t have an appetite. If fact, this is all going to go to waste. You guys should take

something.

appetite: 爱好,嗜好 waste: 垃圾,浪费 guy: 伙计

我没胃口,其实这些东西最终还是进垃圾桶。你们应该吃点。

-Lynette: No, no, you should keep it.

不,不,你应该自己留着吃。

-Edie: I‟ll take a couple.

好,我带一些回去。

-Edie: What? Karl dumped me, so I am alone. Food fills the void.

dump: 倾卸,抛弃 void: 空虚

怎么了?Karl抛弃我了,我现在很寂寞。食物可以填补空虚。

-Gabrielle: Xiao-Mei, I appreciate your grief, but really, you are bringing everybody down. Would you pull

it together?

appreciate: 欣赏 grief: 悲伤

晓梅,我很感激你这么难过,但是你这样让大家都心情不好。你别这样?

-Xiao-Mei: Mrs. Solis?

Solis夫人...

-Gabrielle: I don‟t understand. It is from the government.

我不太理解。政府机关的。

-Lynette: Gaby, she is being deported. Xiao-Mei, is this the first letter like this you have received?

deport: 驱逐

Gaby 政府要驱逐她出境。晓梅,这是你第一次收到这种信件吗?

-Gabrielle: Oh my god, this can‟t be happening.

哦,天啊。这决不可能发生。

-Xiao-Mei: I can‟t go home. My uncle will sell me again.

我不能回去!我叔叔会再次把我卖掉的。

-Gabrielle: Oh no, no Xiao-Mei, you are not going anywhere. You are much too important to Carlos and

me.

不不不,晓梅。你不会被赶走的。你放心,你对Carlos和我来说太重要了。

We are going to fight this and we are going to win!

fight: 反抗

我们要反抗而且我们会成功的。

-Bree: Gaby, you can‟t promise her that!

promise: 允诺

Gaby,你不能给她这样的承诺。

-Gabrielle: Bree, you heard what she said. I can‟t let this poor kid go back to China and become

someone is slave!

slave: 奴隶

Bree,你都听到她说的了。我绝对不能让她回中国变成别人的奴隶。

-Xiao-Mei: Thank you.

谢谢你。

-Gabrielle: All right, look my friends want to take some of this to go, so pack it up and we are a little low

on coffee.

pack up: 打包

没事的,来,我的朋友们要带这些回去,把它打包,还有给我们再来点咖啡。

-Tom: You are actually going to let me eat this?

你真的让我吃这个?

-Lynette: Honey, you have been working so hard. Off on business trips all the time.

business trip: 商务旅行

你工作那么辛苦,天天都在外面工作。

Tonight we throw caution and cholesterol to the wind. You deserve a little comfort food.

caution: 紧张 cholesterol: 胆固醇 deserve: 值得 comfort food: 温馨食物

所以今晚,我们把健康警示和胆固醇都扔到脑后。你应该吃一些好吃的东西。

-Tom: Oh, no, you are pregnant?

pregnant: 怀孕的

不对,你肯定别有用心。

-Lynette: God! Your mind goes to dark places.

上帝啊,你想歪了。

-Tom: Honey, you just served me a plate of whole fat Gouda. What is up?

serve: 服务 gouda: 一种荷兰干酪

亲爱的,你刚刚给了我一盘全脂的奶酪。到底怎么了?

-Lynette: Okay. Well, remember I was helping Ed spark up his lovelife?

spark up: 【引发了】[Before you know it, these two become the fiercest of rivals;so the last thing you'd

expect is for them to spark up a holiday romance.] lovelife: 爱情生活

恩…你记得我曾帮Ed点燃他爱情的火花吧?

-Tom: Yeah, you sent his wife those sexy IMs. Why?

sexy: 性感的

记得,你给他老婆发了一些黄段子。

-Lynette: Well, Fran found out that Ed didn‟t send them and she blew her top.

blow her top: 发脾气,发疯

怎么了?Fran发现了那不是Ed发的,而且她十分生气。

She wants the responsible party fired. And Ed lied and told her that you sent them.

responsible: 负责人的

她要把始作俑者解雇了。Ed撒了个谎,告诉她,是你发的。

-Tom: But it wasn‟t me, it was you.

但是,那不是我发的啊。是你啊。

-Lynette: I know.

我知道。

-Tom: Oh, oh! But Ed couldn‟t possibly lose you! No, no, no, I am the expendable one!

expendable:可消耗的,战略上可牺牲的

哦,但是Ed不能失去你的帮助。而我就成了牺牲品。

-Lynette: Look, I know it is ridiculous, but Ed is not a rational person.

ridiculous: 荒谬的 rational: 有理智的

我知道它听起来有点荒谬,但是Ed本来就不是个理智的人。

Fran has him whipped and a whipped husband is someone we must take very seriously.

whip: 鞭打 whipped: 受到鞭打的

Fran让他很痛苦,而对付一个受尽折磨的丈夫,我们需要加倍小心。

-Tom: Okay, how do we handle this?

好,我们现在要怎么办?

-Lynette: You are under contract. Ed can't fire you unless he has just cause.

contract: 合同 just: 正当的

你们是签了合同的。Ed 如果没有正当理由是不能解雇你的。

So until this blows over, you have to be a model employee.

blow over: 平息,停止,消散 model: 模范 employee: 雇员

所以在这件事情结束之前,你必须成为一个模范员工。

Show up on time, no more three martini lunches, and above all, have ready all of your presentations.

martini: 马提尼酒 presentation: 演讲

准时上班,中午不喝三杯以上的马提尼。最重要的,准备好你所有的演讲。

-Tom: I can‟t believe I am being victimized like this.

victimize: 使牺牲

我简直不敢相信我会这样被牺牲掉。

-Lynette: Well, honey, in all fairness, those are all things you should be doing anyway.

in all fairness: 公正的说

亲爱的,公平来说...这些本来就是你应该做的。

-Tom: Fine!

好!

-Bree: Andrew, I am having Peter over for dinner tomorrow night and I was wondering if you would like to

invite Justin?

wonder: 想知道 invite: 邀请

Andrew 我邀请了Peter明天晚上过来吃晚饭,你要不要邀请Justin来?

-Andrew: Yeah. Thanks. I‟ll call him tonight.

好,谢谢,我晚上给他电话。

-Danielle: Since you two are having your boyfriends over, can I invite Matthew?

since: 既然

你们都把男朋友带回来了,我是不是也可以邀请Matthew?

-Bree: Out of the question.

不可能。

-Danielle: So, let me get this straight. You can date a lush and he can bring over his gay lover,

straight: 坦率的 date: 约会 lush: 醉汉,酒鬼 gay: 同性恋

让我们说明白点吧。你能和酒鬼好,他能带同性恋人回家。

but god forbid I date a hot black guy.

forbid: 禁止 hot: 辣的,性感的 guy: 伙计

但是我就不能和性感的黑人约会?

-Bree: Until they lock Caleb up, I don‟t want you anywhere near that family.

在他们把Caleb关起来之前,我不希望你接近他们。

-Andrew: His brother tried to rape you, and his mother keeps the guy locked up in her basement.

rape: 强奸 basement: 地下室

他兄弟要强暴你,而他妈妈又把他关在地下室。

I mean, let is face it Danielle, even you could do better.

我的意思是 Danielle,你品位再怎么差也不应该找这样的人吧。

-Danielle: Since when do you take Mom is side over mine?

什么时候开始你和妈妈一起讨伐我了?

-Bree: Your brother and I had a talk and we have come to a detente of sorts.

détente: 缓和 of sorts: 各种各样的

你哥哥和我谈过了,而最后我们握手言和了。

-Danielle: Really? Even after she screwed you out of your trust fund?

screw: 破坏 trust fund: 信托基金

真的? 在她让你失去信托基金后?

-Bree: Well, he did falsely accuse me of child abuse. I would say we are even, wouldn‟t you, Andrew?

falsely: 错误的 accuse: 控告 abuse: 虐待 even: 相等的

他也误告我虐待儿童,我们现在很好,对吧,Andrew?

-Andrew: Sure, Mom. We are even.

当然,妈妈,我们很好。

-Danielle: You can stop smiling now, I know your face is tired.

你可以不用笑了,我知道你笑得快僵了。

-Andrew: What?

什么?

-Danielle: I am not stupid. I know you hate her now as much as ever.

我并不笨,我知道你和以前一样讨厌她。

-Andrew: Mom and I are in a good place right now. Why can‟t you believe that?

妈妈和我现在关系很好,你为什么就不相信呢?

-Susan: Hi. I got your message. What is up?

诶,我收到了你的留言。怎么了?

-Mike: Come on in. This is Oliver Weston. He is a P.I. Edie hired him.

PI: 私家侦探 hire: 雇用

进来吧。这是Oliver Weston,他是私家侦探。Edie雇的。

-Susan: Edie hired a P.I.?

Edie雇了... 私家侦探?

-Mike: Yeah. He is been spying on you and Karl.

spy: 侦探

对,他正在暗中监视你和Karl。

-Oliver: How you doing'?

过得怎么样?

-Mike: He thinks you two have been having an affair.

have an affair: 通奸,有一腿

他认为你们俩正在交往。

-Susan: Me and Karl? Why would you think that?

我和Karl?你为什么那么认为呢??

-Karl (on the tape): Come on, Suse, you know we are meant to be together.

拜托,Susan,你明知道我们是应该在一起的。

-Susan (on the tape): Karl, just stop.

Karl,别说了。

-Susan: Well, that is Karl being nostalgic.

nostalgic: 怀旧的

那…那是Karl在怀旧。

-Karl (on the tape): You said yourself: the sex last week was the best you ever had.

你自己说上个星期做爱真是前所未有的美妙。

-Susan: Okay, um, first of all, it was not the best sex I ever had.

恩…首先,那不是我所经历的最美妙的一次。

I just said that to make him feel better. Obviously you were the best sex I ever had.

我那么说仅仅是希望让他心里舒服点,和你做的那次才是最美妙的。

-Oliver: That explains the punch in the face.

punch: 殴打

难怪你会打我。

-Mike: I am going to hit you again if you don‟t shut up!

shut up: 闭嘴

闭上你的嘴,否则我会再给你一拳。

-Susan: I know this sounds bad.

我知道这看上去很糟。

-Mike: You were actually fooling around with Karl behind Edie‟s back?

fool around: 胡闹,搞不正常的性关系

但你真的是Karl和Edie的第三者?

-Susan: No, no, no, no. Karl lied to me. He told me that he and Edie had split

split up: 分开

不不不! Karl对我撒了谎。他告诉我,他和Edie在这之前已经分手了。

-Mike: You know what? I don‟t even care.

你知道吗?我并不想听这些。

-Susan: Mike.

-Oliver: Are we done here?

现在我们结束了吗?

-Mike: Yeah!

对。

-Mike: Goodnight, Susan.

晚安,Susan。

-Susan: Hey, hey you, wait, wait, wait! You cannot tell Edie about this.

喂! 你,等等,等等。你把这些告诉Edie。

Whatever she is paying you, I‟ll pay you double!

double: 双倍

不管她给了你什么,我都双倍给你。

-Oliver: She paid a two grand retainer, plus expenses.

grand: <美俚>一千美元 retainer: 聘用定金 plus: 加上 expense: 花销

她付了2000美元,还有花销。

-Susan: Two thousand dollars? Jeez! I got to get into real estate. Okay, I, I don‟t have that kind of cash.

real estate: 房地产 cash: 现金

2000美元?啊! 早知道我也搞房地产了。恩,我没有那么多现金。

-Oliver: Well, then I guess I take the tape to Ms. Britt.

tape: 磁带

那么,我想我还是把磁带给Britt小姐吧。

-Oliver: I have a copy!

copy: 备份

我还有备份!

-Susan: Okay, let‟s try this another way. You are about to unleash a nuclear explosion. Lives are going to

be ruined.

unleash: 解放 nuclear: 原子弹 explosion: 爆炸

好,我这么跟你说吧。你现在正要释放一个原子弹。生命即将被毁灭。

-Oliver: I‟ll tell you what. I‟ll hold off 'til Monday to report to Ms. Britt.

hold off: 拖延 report: 报告

要不这么办吧。我把磁带保留到星期一再交给Britt小姐。

-Susan: Yes!

是的。

-Oliver: Give you some time to gather a little cash.

gather: 收集

给你多一些时间去筹集现金。

-Susan: What if I can‟t?

那如果到时候我还是没有那么多钱呢?

-Officer: I am sorry but Xiao-Mei missed all of her appeal deadlines.

appeal: 上诉 deadline: 底线,期限

很抱歉,但是晓梅错过了她所有上诉的机会。

-Carlos: So, that is it? You are just going to send her back to China?

就这样了?你们就要把她送回中国了?

-Officer: My hands are tied.

我也无能为力。

If your maid were married to an American citizen or have a child who is an American citizen or if she

were a well-known entertainer.

maid: 女仆 citizen: 公民 well-known: 著名的 entertainer: 演艺人员

如果你们的女仆和一个美国公民结婚,或者有一个成为美国公民的小孩,或者她是一个著名的演艺人员...

-Gabrielle: Uh, what if she was pregnant with an American citizen?

pregnant: 怀孕

如果她怀了一个美国公民的孩子呢?

-Gabrielle: Ah, Xiao-Mei. We spoke to Homeland Security and we have good news.

homeland security: 国土安全

晓梅?我们跟国土安全部谈了,有个好消息!

-Xiao-Mei: I can stay?

我可以留下来?

-Gabrielle: Mmm hmm.

呣嗯。

-Xiao-Mei: Oh, thank you!

哦! 太感谢了!

-Gabrielle: Ah, okay.

好。

-Xiao-Mei: Thank you!

谢谢!

-Gabrielle: Well, there is just one little thing.

恩... 但是有一件小事…

Um, the immigration laws have gotten really tough in this country, so we are behind the eight ball going

in.

immigration: 移民 tough: 严厉的,棘手的 behind the right ball: 处于困境中

移民法现在越来越严了,我们所面临的情况并不好。

But we plead your case and we fought tooth and nail and the law says you can stay, but only if you have

our baby.

plead: 申诉 fight tooth and nail: 猛烈作战,拼命打

但是我们为你的情况进行了辩护和努力,最后的结论是你可以留下来…但是要生我们的小孩。

-Xiao-Mei: What?

什么?

-Carlos: The agency said that if you were pregnant with an American citizen, then they couldn‟t deport

you.

agency: 代理,代理处 deport: 驱逐

国土安全部的人说如果…你怀上美国公民的孩子,那么他们就不能驱逐你出境。

-Gabrielle: So we thought you need a baby in your belly! We need a surrogate! Win! Win! Win!

belly: 肚子 surrogate: 代理人

所以我们认为,你需要怀一个孩子。而我们需要一个代孕者...,对大家都有好处

-Xiao-Mei: Sur-ro-git?

代孕?

-Gabrielle: Oh well, it would be our baby, it would just be growing inside of you.

对,那是我们的孩子,她会在你的子宫中长大。

-Gabrielle: Okay, uh, well. Oh, okay, it is like this.

恩...是这样的...

The three of us are making your famous szechuan dumpings. And I am the dough and Carlos is the

pork and you are the oven!

dumping: 饺子 dough: 生面团 pork: 猪肉 oven: 烤炉,烤箱

我们三个就好像在做你最拿手的饺子,我是生面团,Carlos是饺子馅,而你是烤箱。

-Xiao-Mei: I have baby?

我生孩子?!

-Carlos: Okay, we take care of everything.

是的,我们会处理好所有的事情。

You know uh, hospital bills and maternity clothes and Lamaze classes. And of course, you wouldn‟t

have to do any work!

bill: 账单 maternity: 产妇的 Lamaze: 助产心理法的

恩,医疗费用,孕妇装备,助产班。当然,你也不用再做任何工作了。

-Gabrielle: Well, uh, maybe just a little light dusting, nothing major.

dusting: 打扫

对,可能会要做一些打扫,不会有什么重活。

-Xiao-Mei: No!

不!

-Gabrielle: Xiao-Mei, you don‟t have a choice. It's either this or go back to China.

不,晓梅,你没得选择的。要么照我们说的做,要么就回中国。

-Xiao-Mei: No to baby! No!

不生孩子! 不!

-Carlos: You had to push the dusting, didn‟t you?

你要自己打扫了,是吗?

-Bree: Peter, I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

unreasonable: 无理的

Peter 我觉得我没做错什么。

-Peter: It's not like I'm going to advertise my addiction history, but if your kids ask a direct question, I'm

not going to lie to them.

advertise: 做宣传 addiction: 沉迷

我不是要到处炫耀我的恶习史,如果你的孩子直接问我,我不会对他们撒谎的。

-Bree: Right! Uh-huh. Good point.

对! 恩,说的好。

-Bree: Listen, I don't expect you to lie about the alcoholism.

alcoholism: 酗酒

听好了,我不是让你为酗酒这件事对他们撒谎。

I mean, they know that's how we met. It's just, you know, the other thing.

他们都知道我们是怎么认识的,我指的是…另外那件事。

-Peter: Oh! The other thing.

哦! 另外那件事。

-Bree: They're just getting to know you and so I want them to focus on your good qualities.

focus on: 集中于 quality: 品质

他们才认识你,所以我希望他们只看到你的好。

I just don't know how they'll react if they find out that you're a sex addict.

react: 反应 sex: 性 addict: 沉迷

我只是不知道如果他们知道,你是沉迷性爱的人后会有什么反应。

-Danielle: What are you so happy about?

你怎么这么高兴?

-Andrew: You know how you were mad at mom about not letting Matthew come to dinner?

mad at: 对…恼火的

妈妈不让你邀请Matthew来吃饭,你很生气吧?

-Danielle: Yeah.

怎么了?

-Andrew: I just figured out the funniest way for you to get back at her.

figure out: 想出 get back at: 报复

我恰巧发现了一个回击她,最有力的方法。

-Ed: Okay, what's on the schedule for today?

schedule: 计划安排

好了今天的安排是怎么样?

-Tom: I have got the Boston Toy presentation ready to go.

presentation: 演讲

我已经准备好了波士顿的玩具广告讲演。

-Ed: Actually, I don't have time for a full pitch, so just give me the gist.

pitch: 程度 gist: 要点

我没有时间听完它,把要点告诉我吧。

-Tom: Excuse me?

什么?

-Ed: You know, boil it down. Give me one line.

boil it down: 煮沸,煮干

缩短它,就一句话。

-Tom: Okay, basically, it's 'toys are fun.'

好,总的来说就是,玩具很有意思。

-Ed: I hate it.

我讨厌它。

-Tom: How can you hate it? I only gave you three words.

你怎么会讨厌它?我只说了三个字。

-Ed: It's three words I hate. Okay, I'm going to take over the Boston Toy Company account.

take over: 接管 account: 客户

就是三个字我讨厌。好了,我打算接管这个玩具业务。

-Tom: No, you cannot take over?

不,你不能接管。

-Ed: In the meantime, you should all be aware I don't like the way you people have been filing your

expense reports.

meantime: 同时 expense report: 支出报告

与此同时,请你们注意了,我不喜欢你们作的支出报告。

There's been a lot of padding. Meanwhile, this company is hemorrhaging money.

padding: 填料 hemorrhage: 出血

这其中有太多的漏洞。公司的开支太大了。

I'm going to put a stop to it, so I have hired a forensic accountant.

forensic: 法院的 accountant: 会计师

我要结束这种不良现象,所以我雇佣了一个专职会计师。

He's going to go through them, make sure everything's kosher.

go through: 检查 kosher: 干净的

他会仔细检查帐目。

And I find one receipt, one bar tab that's fishy, it's grounds for dismissal.

receipt: 收据 bar: 酒吧 tab: 表格 fishy: 可疑的 grounds: 理由,根据 dismissal: 解雇

如果我发现有一张收据作假,那么就等着被解雇吧。

Oh, Scavo? He's going to start with you.

Scavo?你第一个。

-Lynette: I can't believe that son of a bitch hired a forensic accountant.

son of bitch: 狗娘养的

我简直不敢相信,那个王八蛋雇了专职会计师。

He's more whipped than I thought. Well, he's tragically underestimated us.

whipped: 受到鞭打的 tragically: 可悲地 underestimate: 低估

看来他比我想像中的还要受打击。只可惜他低估了我们。

The gloves are coming off.

gloves: 手套

我们就跟他动真格的。

-Tom: You know, maybe I should just quit.

quit: 辞职

也许我应该辞职。

-Lynette: What? Yesterday you were up in arms. Now, now you're ready to cave?

up in arms: 感到愤怒,起来进行武装战斗 cave: 倒塌

什么?昨天我们才扬言说要斗争到底。今天你就打算投降了?

-Tom: If Ed is determined to get me, sooner or later, he's going to get me. It's just a matter of time.

如果Ed下定决心要解雇我,那么迟早,他会解雇我的。这只是时间问题。

-Lynette: No, no! We are not backing down.

back down: 放弃

不不! 我们不能食言。

I'm going to walk over to Ed's office right now, and I'm going to make very clear that if you're out the

door, I'm right behind ya.

ya: you: 你

我现在就去Ed的办公室,我要告诉他如果他解雇了你,我会跟你一起走。

-Tom: We can't both be unemployed.

unemployed: 失业的

我们不能都失业。

-Lynette: Oh, it'll never happen. He knows this place will go down like a house of cards without me.

哦,这决不可能发生。他知道如果公司没有我,一定会倒闭的。

-Tom: Honey, wait. Just wait!

亲爱的,等等,先等等!

-Lynette: What, what?

怎么了?

-Tom: I'm not going to hide behind my wife's skirt.

我不能受我妻子的保护生活。

-Lynette: We're a team. I'm just lending support.

lend: 借 support: 支持

我们是一组的,我只是给予支持。

-Tom: That's not the way it's going to look to everybody else out there.

可旁人不会这么看啊。

Look, let me talk to him, man to man. If my way doesn't work, then we'll do it your way.

让我先跟他谈谈,男人和男人的对话。如果我的方法不奏效,那时我们再用你的。

-Lynette: Okay, go get him.

好,你去找他。

-Lynette: Oh, my god! Oh, my god! Tom, what happened?

哦老天啊!哦老天啊!Tom 发生什么事了?

-Tom: I think I gave him just cause.

just: 正当的

我想这下给了他解雇我的理由了。

-Mary Alice: Susan knew she couldn't afford to keep the P.I. from revealing her affair with Karl

afford: 支付得起 reveal: 泄露 affair: 事情

Susan知道她不可能凑集足够的钱给私家侦探以隐瞒她和Karl的亲密关系。

and since Edie would learn the truth anyway, Susan felt it would be better if it came from her.

learn: 知道

既然Edie迟早都会知道事情的真相,Susan觉得也许由自己来告诉她会比较好...

Which is how she came to write a letter begging Edie for forgiveness.

beg: 祈求 forgiveness: 原谅

所以她写了封信给Edie 请求她的原谅。

Her words were so sincere and heartfelt, from the moment she mailed it,

sincere: 真诚的,诚挚的 heartfelt: 衷心的,真心诚意的 mail: 邮寄

在信中,她言词诚恳坦荡。在她寄出信的时候,Susan就知道...

...she was a dead woman.

她快要完蛋了。

-Betty: You know, Caleb, since the day you were born, I've always thought of you as a blessing. You do

know that, right?

blessing: 祝福

恩,Caleb…从你出生那天起,我就把你当成是上帝的赐予,你知道的,对吗?

-Caleb: I guess. How come Matty's not here?

我想是的。Matty怎么不在这里?

-Betty: Because this is our special day, just you and me.

因为这是我们俩特别的日子,只有你和我。

-Caleb: Is he mad at me? 'Cause of Danielle?

mad at: 生气 „cause: because

他因为Danielle的事很生我的气吗?

-Betty: No. He knows that you didn't mean to scare her.

mean: 有意 scare: 吓

不,他知道你并不是故意要吓她的。

-Caleb: 'Cause he said it was okay for me to kiss her.

他说我可以亲她的。

-Betty: What did you say?

你刚刚说什么?

-Caleb: He said Danielle liked me and that she wouldn't fight me if I gave her a kiss.

fight: 反抗

他说Danielle喜欢我,我亲她的话,她就不会反抗。

-Betty: Your brother told you that?

你弟弟这么告诉你的?

-Caleb: Matty said that she was waiting for me and that she wanted a really big kiss.

Matty说她正在等我,等我给她一个长吻。

-Betty: What else did your brother tell you?

你弟弟还对你说了些什么?

-Gabrielle: Xiao-Mei? I made you some hot cocoa. I guess the baby thing didn't really appeal to you, huh?

cocoa: 可可 appeal: 有吸引力

晓梅?我给你做了热可可。我想你对生孩子那事没兴趣,对吗?

I know it's a lot to ask, it's just, Carlos and I think of you as family. Don't you think of us as family?

我知道这样要求有点过分,Carlos和我只是把你当成一家人而已。你难道不觉得我们是一家人吗?

-Xiao-Mei: Oh, yes! You are like mother to me.

哦,是的!你就像我妈妈一样。

-Gabrielle: Mm hmm. Well, if we are so frigging close, what's the big deal? It's nine months out of your

life.

frigging: 要命的,非常的

恩,既然我们这么亲密,你还介意什么嘛?只需你生命中的九个月。

-Xiao-Mei: I will be ruined.

ruin: 毁灭

我会被毁了的。

-Gabrielle: Ruined?

毁了?

-Xiao-Mei: Down there.

这里。

-Gabrielle: Wait. Are you a virgin? Wow.

virgin: 处女

等等,你是处女?

-Xiao-Mei: If I have baby, I will be shamed.

shamed: 羞愧的

如果我有了孩子,我会羞愧至死的。

-Gabrielle: Are you kidding? No one cares about virginity in this country.

kid: 开玩笑 virginity: 童贞

你不是开玩笑吧?在这个国家没有人在意女人这回事。

It went out of style in the fifties, and trust me, honey, it isn‟t making a comeback.

comeback: 复辟,卷土重来

那是50年代的人的想法了,相信我,亲爱的。不会再有人这么想的。

Seriously, no one cares.

真的,没人会在意那个。

-Xiao-Mei: Husband would care. No man want me if I ruined. I want husband so much.

日后的丈夫会在意的。生完孩子后不会再有人想要我了,我非常想有一个丈夫。

-Gabrielle: Well, what kind of husband do you want? Do you want a rich husband?

你想要个怎样的丈夫?想要个富有的丈夫吗?

Well, then, rich men don't marry virgins for the same reasons they don't hire chauffeurs who can't drive.

They value experience.

chauffeur: 司机 value: 注重

富人不会娶处女就如同他们不请不会开车的司机一样。他们重视经验。

-Xiao-Mei: Really?

真的吗?

-Gabrielle: Would I lie to family?

我会骗我的家人吗?

-Lynette: Here are the numbers you wanted.

这是你想要的数据。

-Ed: Lynette, wait. Have you heard from Tom?

Lynette,等一下,你听tom说了吗?

-Lynette: He's not answering his cell phone. But you don't have to worry, okay?

cell phone: 手机

他不接电话。但你不必担心了。

You got what you wanted. He's out of the building.

你已经得到你想要的,他已经不在这儿了。

-Ed: Come in here and close the door.

关门,来这儿。

-Lynette: You sure? I might punch you, too.

punch: 殴打

你确定吗?我也许也会打你的哦。

-Ed: I'll take my chances.

我想试试。

-Lynette: If this is where you want me to apologize for my husband, I'm not going to do it.

apologize: 道歉

如果你想让我为我的丈夫向你道歉,门儿也没有。

Maybe he shouldn't have hit you, but you provoked him.

provoke: 刺激

也许他不应该打你,但是是你先刺激他的。

-Ed: Now wait a minute?

先别激动好吗?

-Lynette: No! I am sorry, Tom gets punished because you can't deal with your screwed-up marriage.

screwed-up: 搞砸了的 marriage: 婚姻

不!由于你那糟糕的婚姻而惩罚Tom,

It is pathetic, Ed. If you had stood up to your wife in the first place, none of this -- what?

pathetic: 可悲的

Ed,你太可悲了。如果你一早敢与你老婆对抗,什么事都不会——怎么了?

-Ed: I love it. You're giving me crap about my marriage. You know what?

crap: 废话

你说得真好。你现在说的关于我婚姻的东西都是废话。

Here! Oh, the forensic accountant found some interesting stuff in Tom's expense reports.

forensic: 法院的 accountant: 会计师 stuff: 东西

看看这个。会计师在tom的花销记录里找到了些有趣的项目。

Yeah, it seems on his last three trips east, he cashed in his first-class ticket and took a detour to Atlantic

City.

cash: 付现款 first-class: 头等的 detour: 绕路而行

看起来,在他最近的三次东部之旅中,他坐的都是头等舱,而且还顺便绕道去了趟亚特兰大。

-Lynette: What? That can't be right.

什么?这肯定是调查错了。

-Ed: Well, it's all there. Hotels, bar tabs. Oh, and on this page two tickets to a show. And flowers.

bar tab: 酒吧账单

详详细细的都在那儿写着。宾馆还有酒吧的账单。噢,还有这页...两张演出票。还有花。

-Lynette: That doesn't make any sense. There's got to be some kind of an explanation for this.

explanation: 解释

这样说没有道理,他肯定有他的原因。

-Ed: Before you pass judgment on someone else's marriage, I'd clean up my own house first.

judgment: 判断 clean up: 收拾干净

在评论别人的婚姻之前,我会先把自己的婚姻搞清楚。

-Bree: Sorry, I don't know what's taking Danielle so long to get dressed.

get dressed: 穿衣服

真不好意思,不知道Danielle怎么换了那么久的衣服。

-Andrew: Just give her a break, mom. I'm sure she's just trying to look nice for our company.

company: 同伴

再给她点时间吧,妈妈。她在尽量让自己看起来漂亮。

-Peter: Well, I hope she doesn't get too dressed up. I like people to be comfortable.

comfortable: 舒服的

希望她没有打扮得过于花枝招展,我喜欢穿得很轻松舒服的人们。

-Danielle: Oh, I'm comfortable.

噢,我觉得很舒服。

-Bree: Honey, what are you wearing?

亲爱的,你怎么穿成这样?

-Danielle: You got me this for Christmas. Don't you remember?

你圣诞节的时候给我买的。不记得了吗?

-Bree: Yeah, I just, I'm worried you might be a little cold.

当然记得,我只是我在想你这样会不会觉得有点冷?

-Danielle: I think it's plenty warm in here. Don't you, Mr. McMillan?

plenty: 充足的

我觉得这儿挺暖和的,你不觉得吗?McMillan先生

-Peter: Uh, sure.

呃,是的。

-Andrew: Well, uh, we should probably start eating. We don't want our frittatas to get cold.

frittata: 菜肉馅煎蛋饼

我们快开始吃饭吧?要不然frittatas马上要变凉了。

-Bree: Right. Good. Um, sorry. Everybody, dig in.

dig in: 开始吃

嗯,就是呀,大家请享用吧。

-Peter: Wow. Does anybody else think this salsa's a little too spicy?

salsa: 沙司 spicy: 辣的

有没有人觉得这酱汁太辣了点儿?

-Danielle: I always say, the hotter, the better.

我总是说,越“辣”,越好。

-Andrew: So, Mr. McMillan, I hear you went to Perkins College. I'm thinking about going there after I

graduate.

graduate: 毕业

McMillan先生,我听说你以前上的是Perkins大学。我在考虑等我高中毕业以后也去那儿念书。

-Peter: Uh, Perkins, huh? I was there. Yeah, I made it to every party,

噢,Perkins是吧?我在那儿的时候参加了许多派对,

and I went to classes in my spare time. No, actually, it's a great college. I, I, I think you'd like it.

spare time: 业余时间

在课余去上上课,呵呵,它其实是一个很好的大学。我想你会喜欢它的。

-Bree: Isn't this wonderful? Good food, pleasant conversation. This really is a very special night.

wonderful: 美妙的 pleasant: 令人愉快的 conversation: 谈话

像现在这样实在太好了?美味的食物,令人愉悦的谈话...这真的是一个特别的夜晚。

-Danielle: I feel the same way.

我同意。

-Andrew: So, Peter, is it growing?

呃,peter,它在变大吗?

-Peter: What?

什么?

-Andrew: Uh, the campus. Has it grown at all since you've been there?

campus: 校园

我是说校园,从你在那儿之后,它变大了吗?

-Peter: Um, yeah, it's, grown considerably.

considerably: 非常地,颇

是的,它...它变大了很...很多。

-Andrew: I would just love to get my hands on a brochure.

brochure: 宣传册

真想亲手摸到学校的宣传册子。

-Peter: The alumni association is always sending me stuff, you know. I'll, I'll get you something!

alumni: 毕业生,校友 association: 协会,社团 stuff: 东西

校友会一直有寄东西给我,我会带点儿给你!

-Bree: Oh, my god, are you okay?

哦,天啊,你还好吗?

-Peter: I just remembered, you know, this guy I'm sponsoring, he said he needed to see me tonight, so I

should go to him.

guy: 伙计 sponsor: 发起,赞助,帮助

我刚才想起,我正在帮助的一个家伙说,他今天晚上要见我,所以我要走了。

-Bree: Well, I guess that's important, so...

我猜这是件重要的是,那么...

-Peter: Yeah, so I should go. No need to show me out.

是的,我马上得走。不必出来送我了。

-Bree: What a shame. I really wanted him to have a chance to get to know you guys.

shame: 遗憾的事

太可惜了,我真得很希望能有机会让他更了解你们俩。

-Danielle: Don't worry, I, I think we made an impression.

impression: 印象

别担心,我...我想我们俩已经给他留下印象了。

-Lynette: Hey. Hey! I didn't know if you were coming back.

嗨,嗨!我不知道你回来。

-Tom: I waited until the parking lot cleared.

parking lot: 停车场

我一直等到停车场都空了。

-Lynette: So, um, what happened? You said you were just going to go in there and talk to him.

那么...发生什么事情了?你说你要进去和ed摊牌的。

-Tom: I know, I know. I know I shouldn't have hit him, but what's done is done.

我知道,我知道。我知道我不应该打他的。可是...做过的事如同泼出去的水。

-Lynette: Anything else going on?

还有其他的事情吗?

-Tom: Like what?

譬如?

-Lynette: I don't know. Anything you want to talk about?

我哪里知道,有没有什么事情想和我说的?

'Cause there's nothing you couldn't tell me. I would understand.

„cause: because: 因为

你可以告诉我任何事情。我会理解你的。

-Tom: No, I feel good about this. It's okay, 'cause I didn't fit in around here anyway.

fit in: 合适,适应

没有,我现在感觉挺好的。我也觉得自己不适合这里。

I'm going to get another job someplace else. Everything's good. And you, I love you.

someplace: 在某处

我会在别的地方再找一份工作,万事都好。至于你,我爱你。

-Lynette: I love you, too.

我也爱你。

-Lynette: You know what's weird?

weird: 奇怪的

你知道是哪儿不对劲吗?

-Tom: No, what?

不知道,怎么了?

-Lynette: In all the years we have been married, I have never seen you lead with your fists.

fist: 拳头

我和你结婚那么多年,我从来没见过你挥舞拳头。

-Tom: Well, maybe I still got some surprises in me.

surprise: 惊奇,惊异的事

唔...也许我还有一些能令人惊奇的地方。

-Lynette: Maybe you do.

也许的确如此。

-Matthew: Is it done?

搞定了吗?

-Betty: Mm hmm. We can mourn your brother later. Right now there are things that still need to be done.

mourn: 哀悼

我们可以稍候再哀悼你哥哥。现在,还有些要解决的事情。

-Betty: We need to get rid of everything. Mattress, clothes, all of it.

get rid of: 摆脱,除去 mattress: 床垫

我们要扔掉所有东西...床铺、衣服,所有的一切。

-Matthew: Mom, the, the door's locked.

lock: 锁

妈,这...这门锁上了。

-Betty: I know.

我知道。

-Matthew: Mom, you need to open this door right now! Mom!

妈,你必须马上打开这门!妈妈!

-Gabrielle: Honey, why aren't you dressed yet? We have to be at the fertility clinic in forty minutes!

fertility: 生产力,生育 clinic: 诊所

亲爱的,你怎么还没有穿好衣服?我们要在四十分钟之内到达诊所!

-Carlos: Aw, shoot! Is that today?

shoot: 该死

该死!怎么是今天?

-Gabrielle: And, uh, give Xiao-Mei a kick in the pants. I haven't seen her all morning.

kick: 踢 pant: 裤子

对了,把晓梅给叫起来。我整个早上都没有看见她。

-Carlos: Hey. Today's the, uh, big day. You ready to, uh, make a baby?

嗨。今天,恩...是个重要的日子。你准备好生孩子了吗?

-Xiao-Mei: Ready.

好了。

-Xiao-Mei: Please, be gentle.

gentle: 温柔的

拜托你...温柔一点。

-Gabrielle: Honey, come on. We're going to be late.

亲爱的,快点儿啊。我们要迟到了。

-Carlos: Hmm, ah. I think she's confused as to how we're going to make this baby happen.

confused: 迷惑的

我想她没弄清楚,我们打算怎么要这个宝宝。

-Gabrielle: And were you planning on setting her straight?

set her straight: 使她明白 straight: 坦率的,明白的

哦,那你刚才打算让她弄明白吗?

-Carlos: Next thing out of my mouth.

正准备说呢。

-Andrew: Come on! The guy's ready to explode.

explode: 爆炸

别这样!那家伙已经快要爆炸了。

-Danielle: I don't care. I'm not sleeping with mom's boyfriend.

我不在乎。我又不是在和妈妈的男朋友发生什么关系。

-Andrew: You can't back out now. You were great the other night. You got Peter on the hook. He's

primed.

back out: 放弃 on the hook: 陷入圈套 primed: 待发的

你已经不能回头了。你那天晚上太棒了。你让peter上钩了,他已经被你挑起欲望了。

-Danielle: I was just messing with his head to get back at mom. That's all.

mess: 弄乱 get back at: 报复

我只是要作弄他来报复妈妈,没别的了。

-Andrew: Yeah, but why stop there? She's keeping you from Matthew. Now, come on, she deserves this.

deserve: 值得,应得

是啊,为什么要停止呢?她一直不让你和Matthew见面,她活该。

-Danielle: I am not that stupid. Go grind your own ax.

stupid: 愚蠢的 grind: 磨 ax: 斧子

我没那么傻,要玩你自己玩。

-Andrew: That's him. I don't have time for this crap. Now strip down to your bra and panties now.

crap: 废话 strip: 脱 bra: 胸衣 panty: 内裤

他来了,我没空在这里废话。快脱掉你的外衣。

-Danielle: Get out of my room, you psycho!

psycho: 变态,精神病患者

滚出我房间,你这个神经病!

-Andrew: Um, my mom won't be back for a while, so you probably don't want to wait around.

wait around: 不耐烦的等待

我妈一时半会不会回来的,所以你大概不想在这里等她吧。

-Peter: Well, that's okay. I just wanted to make sure you got the Perkins catalog.

catalog: 大学概况手册

没关系,我来是为了给你。Matthews大学的资料。

Uh, your mom told me that you're going on a tour there tomorrow.

tour: 观光旅行

你妈妈告诉我你明天会去那儿参观。

-Andrew: Yeah.

是的。

-Peter: You're gonna love it. The campus is beautiful, the teachers are amazing,

campus: 校园 amazing: 令人惊异的

你会喜欢那儿的。美丽的校园,优秀的老师。

and the student body is such a great mix. You know, they're all about diversity.

body: 主体 mix: 混合物 diversity: 多元化

而且学生群是一个混合体,我的意思是,他们非常多元化。

-Andrew: Whatever. All right, well, I'll let my mom know you stopped by.

stop by: 偶然过访

好的,我会和我妈妈说你来过。

-Peter: Okay. Andrew, I also wanted to apologize for leaving so fast the other night.

apologize: 道歉

好的。我想为那天晚上离开得那么匆忙而道歉,

I, I started to get the feeling that your sister was coming on to me, which was upsetting because?

come on to: 对…轻薄,吃豆腐 upsetting: 令人苦恼的

我...我感觉到你的妹妹对我有意思,我有点不安。

-Andrew: You're a sex addict?

addict: 沉迷

你是一个性瘾者?

-Peter: Your mom told you about that?

你妈妈向你提及过?

-Andrew: Let's just say the word's out. But, um, I'm curious, back in the day, what kind of stuff were you

into?

curious: 好奇的

我们就直说了吧,不过,我很好奇,你在那段时间是什么样子。

-Peter: I don't know that I want to talk about that.

我不清楚我是否想谈这些事。

-Andrew: Well, I just want to make sure you're not into anything too freaky.

freaky: 畸形的,捉摸不定的

我只是想确定你会不会变得太怪异。

You know, I mean, you are dating my mom and I'm kinda protective of her.

date: 约会 kinda: kind of protective: 保护的,防卫的

我的意思是,你在和我妈妈约会,而我想保护她。

-Peter: Well, you can relax. I mean, I wasn't some sort of pervert, you know.

relax: 放松 pervert: 变态

你不必担心,我不是那种变态狂。

All I can say is, I went through a dark period and I slept with a whole lot of people.

go through: 经历

我经历了一段黑暗的时期,我与许多人发生过关系。

-Andrew: People?

人?

-Peter: What's wrong?

有什么不对的地方?

-Andrew: No, it's just that when most guys discuss their conquests, they don't say 'people.'

conquest: 征服

大多数人讨论被征服的战利品时,他们不会说“人”。

-Peter: Oh,

噢,这个嘛...

-Andrew: No, it's okay. I appreciate the fact that you value diversity.

appreciate: 欣赏 value: 重视 diversity: 多元化

没关系,我理解。我非常欣赏你如此重视多元化。

-Susan: Who is it?

谁呀?

-Mike: Mike. Susan?

Mike, Susan?

-Susan: Hi. Sorry. I'm just on the lookout for Edie.

lookout: 警戒,注意

嗨,不好意思。我只是在防备Edie。

-Mike: Oh, well, you can relax. Edie won't be coming after you.

come after: 跟着,追杀

你放心吧。Edie不会追杀你的。

-Susan: Why?

为什么?

-Mike: I talked to the P.I. and he's not gonna tell her anything.

PI: 私家侦探

我和那个私家侦探谈过了,他不会告诉她任何事情。

-Susan: What did you say?

你和他说什么了?

-Mike: I paid him off, so it's over. I just thought you should know.

pay off: 贿赂

我拿钱堵住他的嘴,所以这结束了。我只是觉得你应该知道。

-Susan: Well, wait. Why would you do that?

等一下,你为什么要那样做?

-Mike: People just get hurt if it gets out. I didn't see the point.

get out: 说出,公布 point: 要点

把事情弄清楚了反而会使人受伤,我以前没有发现这点。

-Susan: Hey there. You look thirsty.

thirsty: 渴的

嗨,你看上去很渴。

-Gus: This is really nice of you, Mrs. Mayer. To be honest with you, I wasn't even sure that you liked me.

honest: 实话的,诚实的

你真是太好了,Mayer太太。老实说,我原来并不肯定你是否喜欢我。

-Susan: And you know why? Because we're all so busy and detached from each other.

detached: 分离的

你知道为什么吗?因为我们都很忙而且互相都太冷漠了。

You're at my house every day and sure, we wave and we say hello, but we barely even know each other.

barely: 几乎,仅仅

你每天都会到我家门口,然后,我们招手打招呼,但是我们一点都不了解对方。

How long have you been delivering my mail, for god's sake?

deliver: 递送

你到底为我送了多久的信?

-Gus: Three and a half weeks.

三个半星期。

-Susan: Really? It seems like forever. Let me top you off.

top: 加以顶端,加满

真的吗?我觉得一直都是你送信啊,我来帮你再倒满一杯。

-Gus: Oh, no, I couldn't. This is my third glass. I, seriously, I'm sloshing'.

sloshing: 晃动,晃荡

不用了,这已经是第三杯了,我...说真的,肚子晃荡作响了。

-Susan: Well, you probably want to use the bathroom before you leave, huh?

bathroom: 浴室

那么,也许你想去洗手间了吧?

-Gus: No, I'm good.

不,我很好。

-Susan: Are you sure? Uh, I mean, you have such a long route,

route: 路线,路径

你确定?你还有那么多信要送,

and that iced tea's going to go right through you. It's better here than Mrs. McCluskey's hydrangeas.

hydrangea: 绣球花

冰茶会不断被吸收的...在这里比在Mccluskey太太的花丛里要好多了。

-Gus: Well, you know, uh, maybe I will use your bathroom.

那么,也许我要用一下你的洗手间了。

-Susan: Great! Oh, the one down here is broken. Why don't you use the one upstairs? It's right off my

bedroom.

upstairs: 楼上的

楼下的坏了,何不用楼上的那间?就在我睡房的右侧。

-Gus: Yeah. Okay. Got it.

好的,知道了。

-Carlos: I still can't believe it. I mean, why would Xiao-Mei just offer herself up to me like that?

offer: 提供

我仍然不能相信,为什么晓梅会那样。

-Gabrielle: Well, honey, she's a virgin. Who knows why virgins do anything?

virgin: 处女

亲爱的,她是个处女。谁也难以理解处女做的事情?

-Carlos: She's a virgin? Are you serious?

她是处女?你是认真的?

-Gabrielle: Yeah. I wouldn't just slam her for no reason.

slam: 猛击,贬低

是啊,我不会毫无道理的贬低她的啊。

-Nurse: Mr. Solis? It's time to collect your D.N.A.

DNA: 基因

Solis先生?是时候收集你的精液了。

-Gabrielle: Oh! Okay, honey, only good swimmers now.

swimmer: 游泳者

好的,亲爱的。现在就只需要好的游泳者了。

-Nurse: If you like, we have a variety of magazines and videos available.

magazine: 杂志 video: 录像 available: 有效的

如果你喜欢,我们有许多杂志与音像制品提供给你。

-Carlos: Mm, I think I'm good.

我想我用不着。

-Susan: Gus? Are you okay up there?

Gus? 你还好吗?

-Susan: Gus!

Gus!

-Gus: Uh, do you want me to keep the hat on? I know it's a fantasy for some women.

fantasy: 幻想

你想我戴着这帽子吗?我知道这对于一些女人来说是一种幻想。

-Susan: Uh.

啊。

-Julie: Mom? Is the mailman here?

mailman: 邮差

妈妈。送信的人在这儿?

-Susan (to Gus): That's my daughter. Get dressed!

是我女儿。快穿衣服!

-Julie: Mom?

妈妈?

-Susan: Yes, honey. Gus, the mailman, is here!

我在这儿!Gus,那个送信的在这儿!

He's using the bathroom. He'll be down in a minute.

bathroom: 浴室

他在用洗手间,他马上就会下楼了。

Oh! Darn it. Guess we'll have to take a rain check, huh?

darn it: 讨厌 rain check: 延期,取消

真不巧,估计我们得改日了。

-Gus: I can come back on Tuesday.

我星期二可以来。

-Susan: Tu-Tuesday? No, no, Tuesday's not good, 'cause Tuesday's the day I, um, become a lesbian.

lesbian: 女同性恋

星星期二?不,因为一到星期二,会变成一个女同性恋。

-Bree: Andrew? Honey, where are you? I got your message. What's the emergency? Andrew? Andrew?

message: 消息 emergency: 紧急情况

Andrew?你在哪里?我收到你的短信了。有什么急事?Andrew? Andrew?

-Bree: Andrew? Honey, what are you doing in my bed?

Andrew?亲爱的,你在我床上干什么?

-Peter: Have you seen my pants? I can‟

pant: 裤子

你看见我的裤子了吗?我不能找到...

-Andrew: Now we're even.

even: 公平的

现在我们打平手了。

-Bree: Did you forget that we're supposed to take that tour of Perkins college today?

tour: 观光旅行

你忘了我们今天应该要去参观Perkins大学吗?

-Andrew: Seriously? After last night, I didn't exactly think you'd be too keen on sitting next to me in a car

for three hours.

keen: 热切的

你是认真的吗?昨晚之后,我猜你不会想坐在我旁边开三个小时的车。

-Bree: Consider me a cheerleader for anything that expedites me getting you out from under my roof.

cheerleader: 拉拉队员 expedite: 加快,加速 roof: 屋顶,屋子

所有让你可以离开这里的事情都可以让我振奋起来。

-Andrew: Glad we can come to an understanding.

understanding: 谅解。理解

很高兴我们达成共识了。

-Andrew: Why'd we stop here? We have half a tank left.

tank: 邮箱

为什么我们要停在这儿?我们还有半桶油。

-Bree: There's so many things I want to say to you, Andrew. But mostly, I just want you to know how

sorry I am.

mostly: 大部分 sorry: 抱歉的

我有很多话想和你说,Andrew。但最重要的,我想告诉你我感到多么的抱歉。

-Andrew: Sorry for what?

为什么而抱歉?

-Bree: Every child deserves to be loved unconditionally and I thought that was the kind of love that I had

for you.

deserve: 应得 unconditionally: 无条件的

每个孩子都应该得到无条件的爱护,而我一直认为我对你的爱就是那种爱。

Maybe if I had, it would've been different.

也许是真的,事情就会与现在完全不同了。

-Andrew: Why do I suddenly get the feeling we're not going to make it out to Perkins College today?

我怎么感觉我们今天不会去Perkins大学?

-Andrew: What are you doing?

你在干什么?

-Bree: I packed up some of your things.

pack: 整理,打包

我收拾了一些你的东西。

There's also, um, an envelope in here with some money and that should tide you over until you get a job.

envelope: 信封 tide over: 使度过困难时期

还有一个信封,里头装了点钱,在你找到工作之前足够你生活。

-Andrew: What, you're going to, you're going to leave me out here in the middle of nowhere?

nowhere: 不知道的地方

你要把我扔在荒郊野外?

-Bree: I noticed a bus stop about a mile back. You can go anywhere you want.

bus stop: 公交车站

来的路上离这一英里有一个公车站。你可以去任何你想去的地方。

-Andrew: Mama, mom, please don't do this.

妈妈,求你别这样。

-Bree: I have to. I can't be around you anymore. I'm just not strong enough.

我不得不。我不能再在你身边了,我不够坚强。

-Andrew: You know what the good news is? I win.

你知道好消息是什么吗?我赢了。

-Bree: You win?

你赢了?

-Andrew: I remember the look in your eyes when I told you I was gay and I knew that one day,

look: 表情 gay: 同性恋

我记得你当时的眼神,当我告诉你我是同性恋。那时候我就知道总有一天,

you would stop loving me. So here we are. I was right. I, I win.

你会不再爱我。那一天来了。我是对的,我,赢了。

-Bree: Well, good for you.

那好的,好的。

-Susan: Hi. I made you a thank-you pie, and by made, I mean bought.

pie: 派 thank-up: 表示感谢

嗨,我做了一个派感谢你。我说“做”的意思其实就是“买”。

-Mike: So, what exactly are you thanking me for?

你想感谢我什么?

-Susan: For keeping Edie from smashing my face in. That's the nicest thing anybody ever did for me.

smash: 破碎

谢你不让我的头被Edie揉碎,那是别人对我做过得最善良的事情了。

-Mike: Just trying to keep peace on the lane.

keep peace: 保持宁静 lane: 巷

我只是...想保持社区的宁静。

-Susan: Well, you keep telling yourself that. I know why you really paid that guy off. You still care about

me.

pay off: 贿赂

你一直用这个理由告诉自己。我知道你实际上为什么给钱那个私家侦探。你仍然关心我。

-Mike: What?

什么?

-Susan: You're always worried about Julie and me and you beat up my new boyfriend.

beat up: 殴打

你一直在担心Julie和我,你打了我的新男友,

And now you're protecting me from Edie. Do you know what all that means?

protect: 保护

现在你又在保护我。你知道这些意味着什么吗?

-Mike: That you're high maintenance?

maintenance: 维持

“你高风尚高觉悟?”

-Susan: All right, you go ahead and be coy. Fine. I'll be the one to break the ice.

coy: 腼腆的,害羞的 break the ice: 打破沉默

算了。你继续这样装傻吧。我来捅破这层纸。

I never stopped caring about you.

我一直在关心你。

-Mike: That why you jumped in bed with Karl?

in bed with: 和…上床

这就是你和Karl睡觉的原因?

-Susan: I would've never even gone there if I had thought there was a chance with us.

我不会那样,如果我知道我与你之间还有机会。

You just closed the door so completely, I, ugh, can we just not talk about him?

completely: 完全地

你把我们之间那扇门关得那么彻底。我们能不能不说他了?

Have some more pie. I know you like pie. I know you like me.

pie: 派

再吃点派,我知道你喜欢吃派,我知道你喜欢我。

Listen, I'm not asking for us to get back together. I just want us to be friends.

听着...我并不是想要与你破镜重圆,我只是想与你成为朋友。

-Mike: Susan?

Susan?

-Susan: Yes?

嗯?

-Mike: Your house is on fire.

on fire: 着火了

你房子着火了。

-Susan: My whole house is on fire!

我整栋房子...着火了!

-Mary Alice: When the truth is ugly, people try to keep it hidden, because they know if revealed, the

damage it will do.

ugly: 丑陋的 hidden: 隐藏的 reveal: 显示,透露 damage: 破坏

当真相是丑陋的时候,人们尝试将它隐藏起来。因为人们知道,真相泄露,所带来的伤害是多么严重。

So they conceal it within sturdy walls

conceal: 隐藏 sturdy: 强健的

所以人们用严实的高墙将其藏匿起来...

or they place it behind closed doors

或者将其关在紧缩的门后...

or they obscure it with clever disguises

obscure: 隐藏,使…模糊 disguise: 掩饰,伪装

或者用聪明的伪装使其变得模糊...

but truth, no matter how ugly,

emerge: 浮现

但是真相,无论多么丑陋,总会浮出水面...

And someone we care about always ends up getting hurt.

end up: 结束,告终

那些我们关心的人最终还是会受到伤害...

And someone else will revel in their pain and that's the ugliest truth of all.

revel: 作乐,狂欢

另外一些人会因为别人的伤痛而非常快乐,这才是世界上最丑陋的事实。


本文标签: 知道 不会 时候 没有